ShoutPro 1.5.2 - Installation Instructions
- Download the script.
- If you're reading this, you're already one-fifth of the way there!
- Edit two config files.
- Open up the file "config.php" in a text-editing program
and configure all of the settings to your liking. Each setting has a description
of how it should be set and what it is.
- Styles for ShoutPro are stored in CSS files in the "themes/" folder. You can specify which theme file you want to use in config.php. If you know CSS, you can edit "default.css" or the other themes included to customize the look of your shoutbox.
- Upload to your web server.
- Open up your favorite FTP client, connect to your web site, and create a folder for your new shoutbox.
- Upload all of the files and folders found in this
zip to the folder you just created.
- Set a few file permissions.
- If your web server is not running a variation of Unix or Linux, skip this step.
- chmod-ing is a process that allows ShoutPro to edit the files in its directory. If you do not know how to chmod, try right clicking on a file on your web site through your FTP program. Look for "Permissions", "Attributes", "Properties", or something like that. If you see a window pop up with three rows of checkboxes (for Read, Write, and Execute) as well as three columns (for Owner / User, Group, and World / Public), then you're set.
- chmod the shoutbox folder 777 (make it readable, writable,
and executable by everyone).
- chmod the folder "lists" inside the shoutbox folder 777
(make it readable, writable, and executable by everyone).
- chmod the file "lists/names.php"
666 (make it readable and writable by everyone). If problems arise chmod it 777
- chmod the file "shouts.php" 666 (make it readable
and writable by everyone). If problems arise chmod it 777 instead.
- You're done! Shout!